Monday, December 15, 2008

The slow creeping days of vacation I´ve been warned about are here. I miss my family and watching my host family get together with all the awkward moments, old stories and inside jokes doesn´t make things easier. Not being particularly emotional, I tried getting really drunk instead which resulted in nothing more than embarrassment and a very difficult run the next morning--training for a half marathon an hour south of me in the Ithsmus-Bound Cordillera Isabella.

I´ve spent plenty of time calling my counterparts and looking for new work with coffee cooperatives, the harvest of which has begun. I though I would see only an increase in work due to my connection with a large coffee exporter, but the opposite has been true. I woke up at four thirty in the morning to take a four hour bus ride for a ten o´clock meeting with a cooperative coordinator. How did that pan out? He wasn´t in the office that day. I called and or showed up at the coffee exporter office four days in a row. What happened? My counterpart was not in or did not call me back. I tried to take a two hour bike ride over a mountain with a faulty bike to find a friend to get my new phone´s user code. Where did I end up? Sleeping in his bed waiting for enough sun to ride back and talking to him on the phone because he wasn´t there.

Other than that, I´ve had a lot of time to run, yoga and read. I´ve been running through books faster than I ever have and listening to the same CDs over and over again. It reminds me of the Christmas breaks of the past sans Starwars on constant repeat. Oh and I´m wearing shorts right now.

2 comments:

Pat Reynolds said...

I guess communication is more art than science in Nicaragua.

Can we send you some new CDs? Mom sent a book recently. Be sure to let us know when something arrives, because so many things we've sent have gone missing. Did the field guide to birds ever make it?

Shorts, eh? It was 8 degrees this morning.

Good, as always, to read your blog.

Love,
Dad

Lourdes said...

I remember Ireland in winter, shivering in a cold house with a bag of turf that I didn't know how to use until someone came home. That first year, I rarely felt warm. We'd sit on the one heating unit in the sitting room, warming our rear-ends and nothing else. A couple of differences: I wasn't alone and you're not cold.

Love you
Mom