Monday, October 13, 2008

As it turns out, members of the superfamily Hymenoptera vespoidea can pack a punch for their size. This superfamily includes all wasps, between which I can´t decide the culprit. About two and a half hours into a four hour hike to a nearby lagoon, I trapsed into the wrong side of the tracks. A pure black wasp stung the upper inside of my right calf, and it swelled almost instantaneously. I slept through it last night, but today walking to and from the institute was a serious problem as I can´t quite command my right calf muscle to flex. By the end of my classes, my calf was red, hot, and swollen to the point that my sock was cutting circulation off. I talked to my doctor/host sister and called the PC medical office. Making a compromise of the two advices, I´m now on an anithistamine, pain-killer, antibotic slurry. Yumm...

Don´t worry, the rest of the hike was beautiful. I didn´t let a swollen calf get in my way of enjoying the all powerful Mother Nature.

No comments: