Monday, October 20, 2008

Although being a PCV is a string of stereotypes, every one has their own experience. Today nicely represented my general modus operandi. I spent just enough time shaving before an icy shower to remember how much nicer hot showers are on such cold mornings. My hot breakfast and coffee waiting for me more than made up for the previous temperature offense. I co-taugh my three monday classes without incident, the first being at 7:15am.

My coffee counterpart called me on my return at 11 am and informed me I was needed. I led our new technician on an unexpected adventure to the misty mountain of El Volcán, where I introduced him to one of my favorite farmers in our group. His wife happily fed my avacados, cuajada, and tortillas, and of course coffee. Post return I relaxed and finished a Michael Pollen book on American eating habits. I rearranged my clothes drying inside and practiced yoga for an hour or so as the rain picked up. I briefly picked up another book before eating my gallo-pinto, tortilla, cuajada, and coffee dinner. Of course, I did none of the cooking or cleaning, but rather ran accross the street to the cyber where I waited 14 minutes to upload this very page due to the ever heavy rains.

1 comment:

Anabel said...

I cannot wait to hear all these stories in person. Keep writing. I'm sitting at my desk at IIT (yes, I finally got a job) and thinking of all these incredible discriptions of smoke and water and I'm smelling the stale coffee in my current cup, remembering the perfect blend I once drank in Costa Rica and the dependence that soon followed. Miss you dearly friend. So glad you're taking the time alone to find yourself while helping others. My sister is in China and my parents, in Antarctica(don't ask). I'm alone in the big city. I wish things were much simpler. I'm trying to make more time to just smell the rain. Much love to you. Keep this up. Tess