Monday, May 26, 2008

I almost forgot... I wanted to briefly explain my living situation. I got the pimped out pad, by the way, and many of my fellow aspiranted have expressed some jealousy. My family has two parents and four children my age under the same roof. All six are university educated, on in the proces of it... astonishing by any yardstick. There are three bedrooms, a front room, a dining room, with full cable tv, and a kitchen. I have a seperate apartment behind the house with enough room for shelves, my bed, a dining room table and chairs, as well as my own bathroom with (cold) running water and a flush toilet. Now water doesn´t work all the time, and there are two leaks in my roof, but I really like my place. The concrete walls and tin roof are exaclty as I expected, but you barely notice them.

The tin roof, though is noticeable when it rains really heavily or when an iguana fall on the roof and scurries off. If I didn´t have to leave for my fukll service, I don´t think I would change anything about my current situation.

4 comments:

Amber said...

Hey O,
Just wanted to let you know Matt forwarded me your blog. I'm really enjoying reading the updates about your time down there. Keep them coming!
Amber

kati_maloney said...

Hey Owen! What your doing sounds amazing...I went camping once, and brought my hair straightener and an air mattress. I don't think I could survive where you are. Keep up the posts we enjoy reading them!

Lori said...

Hola, Owen.

Sounds like your living arrangements should feel familiar --given your Clampett origins.

-Lori

leojn said...

Owen - I lived in Guatemala and passed through Nicaragua on my way to Colombia where I lived for three months when I was 20. It changed my life. It opened my eyes to things I could never experience through books or movies. I understood for the first time what running, clean, drinkable water meant, and sewers, and electricity, and all the other things we totally take for granted in the US of A. This is not to mention being immersed in another culture and learning another language. No masters degree or hotshot Wall Street job will ever come close to what you are learning right now. Stay alert!

--John Leo