Wednesday, December 16, 2009

After an unintentionally extended absence, I feel I should add something before the arrival of the parental duet. being absolutely swamped lately has been great. One of my teams won our regional business competitions and represented two departments in Managua. Two of my students were interviewed on national television, with their well spoken North American Professor (me). I was also interviewed in La Prensa, the widest circulated Nicaraguan daily.

As my second Holiday Season in Nicaragua arrives, I've got to reflect. I've pushed myself emotionally in ways I never thought I could, (in some cases too far) but learning from every step of the way. I have been getting worn down lately, to the point of thinking about returning even though I desperately want to stick around and finish my work. I think I've done good sustainable projects with my community, and I've got more lined up.

I'm starting to rebuild a school room in a town two hours north of me, a project which will include weekly environmental lectures. I'll be working in two schools next year with four teachers, and I'm studying for my GMATs. I still have seven months left to prove to myself and my community that I am as self-motivated and effective Peace Corps employee as I think I am.

3 comments:

Lourdes said...

Dad & I are so proud of all the work you've done. As are so many of the people we had a chance to meet. They were wonderful and we were so glad to meet them. They made us feel so welcome.

We know your work will continue to make positive changes in your community.
Love you, mi hijo,
MOM

Lena Guerrero Reynolds said...

Right on O!

Chris said...

We Need a Few Good Writers!
*Travel with purpose after COS and author a travel guide for your country of service.*
Other Places Publishing, a start-up publishing house created by RPCVs, is actively recruiting PCVs in their final year of service to remain in-country after COS to research and write travel guides for their country of service. Our guides provide unique local insight, highlight those spots off the beaten path, and show the real country to travelers. If you’re up to the challenge, we’d love to hear from you. We’re particularly interested in hearing from R/PCVs in Central and South America. Check out www.otherplacespublishing.com for more info, or email Chris at editor@otherplacespublishing.com. Please pass this information along to other PCVs in your country. Thanks!

See our job posting in the May 15 issue of Hotline and check us out on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Other-Places-Publishing/197817465785?ref=ts