Saturday, July 4, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY USA!!!

Last night many of the volunteers scammed our way into an embassy party. There were little American flags everywhere, including inbetween our hotdogs, hamburgers, and potato salad. Fireworks were lit off over the embassy softball field to crown the evening. With the embassador to my left, and someone special to my right, it will be a while before I forget it.

Although...
In Niacaragua, where ¨There is more time than life,¨ I still manage to find myself wishing for more of it. Without my admition that it may be my essence to scramble for time, I emplore you all to lengthen both the day and the week. 36 hours. 9 days. Please. I ran out of an entire month to write a proposal for Peace Corps money to fix up a school in my municipality. My high school business classes are farther behind than any one else in my group.

Instead of working diligently to rectify the situations at hand, I´m instead on vacation. I´m preparing for my first and probably last time out of Nicaragua in my service. I will be in León srfing by this afternoon, and leaving for Costa Rica tomorrow. From San José, I´ll be flying to Bogotá, Colombia for the week to visit Rabe. I´m exciting about visiting my old college buddy, it´s been a long time and I can´t wait to see what kind of shenannigan´s have been undertaken. I also need to see some museums, galleries, culture, etc. Niacaragua, although beautiful, is lacking in certain fields of interest.

Even before this vacation, though, i´ve been on mini-vacation here in Managua. I have been helping with some of the new business volunteers´ training--although I almost missed it completely despite having them switch the entire training schedule to accomodate my trip to Colombia. No harm, no foul.

2 comments:

Lourdes said...

Hello mi hijo,
The fireworks from Independence Pk are shaking up the windows, filling the sky with smoke, and brightening up the sky with some pretty professional displays. We are firmly ensconced in the TV room with the shades up watching "Independence Day" and "Uncle Buck."

We had a great time at the Underdowns though it rained all day, so there was no swimming. It was a tad cold for a July 4th (69 degrees). They all said to say hello to you. Grandma & Grandpa Reynolds made it with the help of Christina, Nancy, Merle & Eileen. So the only thing to do was eat and drink. "Party On!"

Of course, it stopped raining in time for sunset... and the fireworks display.

We miss your crazy flips and dives off the board into the pool. Today, you would have had to drive through the ice forming on the surface. Next year just HAS to be better.
Love you
Mom

Pat Reynolds said...

Glad to hear you got a little Fourth of July action in. Today you go to Colombia. Hope everything goes well. I called Avianca airlines again from the office last week and they assured me again that the spelling issues would not be a problem.

Send us an email or post a blog when you get back to Nica.

Love
Dad