Friday, August 15, 2008

Although jealous of many of the summer photos I have seen of waterside fun, concerts at dusk, etc., my biggest regret is that the internet here is not strong enough for me to upload any more pictures to show you. At least I have internet access, though. My air conditioned class room right now is a comfortable place to type. There are pine trees around the Institute, and my new buddies are painting the walls outside right now. I call them my buddies because the local futbol team has taken me under their wing as a kind of social interest. I don´t think they know what I am yet. They may just be following the adage ¨Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer.¨ Who knows, though.

Whatever it is, they have helped me feel slightly more normal in an abnormal environment. I´ve played soccer with them a few times and we throw the football around every couple of days. We had beers and listened to hip hop and reggaeton the other night on the corner in front of my house. They tend to be some of the more influential people in town, both socially and financially--one of the guys is a lawyer who lived in Arizona and Virginia for a few years--which might come in handy down the road. Yali having had previous peace corps presence has made my references a lot more stable.

After the most dilerious fever I´ve ever had burned off my stomach bug, Yali has been action packed. I´ve gotten my running and yoga routines down, supplemented by whatever activities the lads are up to. This is my second week of co-teaching classes, and one of my professors is already showing her own flare and interest. My youth group looks like its going to be focused on the environment and eco-thourism, and we´re going on a hike to view the town on Sunday. My training is done and my coffee counterpart and I will be hitting the dusty trail to help certify our micro-producers next week. I still seem to have time to read, play the guitar, play cards with the boys I live with, and help some of the kids from the Institute sing in English. That acutally reminds me I have a session with them in four minutes.

2 comments:

Pat Reynolds said...

I'll comment once I've confirmed my password.

Pat Reynolds said...

Too bad about the internet not letting you send us photos. But good news about your illness going away. And it sounds like you are settling in with the local lads, too.

One thing you're not missing on this particular evening is kick-ass fishing here at Pine Lake. The fish are--as Woody Allen would put it--staying away in droves.

Between teaching and advising on the coffee biz, it sounds like you have your hands full.

Hey, I'm working on some prints of Ireland, the museum shot of our family, and one or two other things. We'll send them soon. I also ordered a Field Guide to Birds in Central America. We'll send that as soon as we can.

Love you. Terribly proud of you, by the way.

Dad