Saturday, July 19, 2008

After one of our Peace Corps brethren was told he could not be sworn in as a volunteer next week, a group of us went to a beautiful vista overlooking the Laguna de Apoyo and Granada. The Mirador and the view we´ve come to know clouded over as we watched a storm approach. The black stillness of Lake Nicaragua was replaced by an undulating dark grey. The twinkling lights of Granada went next as the clouds consumed whatever they passed. We sat in the drizzle watching the lagoon disappear before ducking under someone´s house or restaurant, we couldn´t tell. I couldn´t help but connect with this pathetic fallacy. I am even leaving the small list of things I have become comfortable with here for the mountains of the north woods.

Currently reading ¨Into the Wild¨ makes me feel comparatively sane. I am still nervous.

After getting back last night I decided to call the old Deuce, my former employer. I felt like I was back there, and maybe that´s what I wanted. When I woke up, slightly hungover, I realized familiarity is a crutch. Its alright to miss it sometimes.

No comments: